social studies

social studies

Monday, October 27, 2014

Discipline-Specific Writing and Assessment

Throughout my schooling, the social studies have been tested in a variety of ways.  Early on, elementary and early junior high school teachers allowed students to express learning in tangible or creative ways.  Posters, drawings, maps, and plays were just some of the ways knowledge was expressed and assessed.  As I progressed through school, the assignments and assessments became more stagnant and repetitive.  By the time I got to high school, the social studies subjects were assessed solely through papers and multiple choice tests.  Because of my innate interest in these subjects, the boring assessments did little to hinder my excitement.  For my classmates however, the social studies classes became a challenge and burden.  

Perhaps if my teachers had provided alternate and creative opportunities to learn and express ideas, more students would have developed a life long interest in the social sciences and a better understanding of the world around them.  The multiple choice and essay assessments limited learning and critical understanding.  My junior high and high school teachers could have incorporated higher learning and interest into their classrooms if they, like my elementary school teachers, had provided interesting and creative methods for learning and assessment. 

Whether I teach 7th or 12th grade, I plan to incorporate creativity and alternate assessments into my classroom.  Multiple choice tests and well planned essays have an important place in social studies classrooms and will likely be used in my own.  Additionally, I plan to use maps, drawings, debates, plays, and other alternative assessments that will help my students develop an interest in and love for the social sciences.  The skills used in these assessments will also be transferable to other classes and real life situations.       

5 comments:

  1. I like your idea of using other forms of assessment, rather than just tests and essays. I plan on using other forms of assessment when I teach as well. I am just curious about the types of plays you would plan to teach or have them learn? I have read a few that would be very fun to teach in history classes, such as, "A Raisin in the Sun", which is about the lives of a colored family during the time of segregation. It is really good. Any of Shakespeare's historical plays, like "Julius Caesar" or "Henry the V". These are just some options for you to use because I really like this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to this blog, In high school, I was on of those other students who lost interest fast in social studies. I hated history papers and multiple choice questions that were always about specific dates that I would never remember. My history teachers would always have a read from the book, fill out a worksheet, take a quiz then move on to the next chapter. I hated it. Then at the end of the unit, we would have huge multiple choice questions that had terrible distractions and were poorly written. I remember dreading going to that class. If the teacher would have Incorporated other ways to learn the material, I would have enjoyed it, and probably still have an interest in social studies. Sounds like you will make a great social studies teacher though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas! Being creative in social studies would have definitely made a difference in what I remember now. Grabbing the attention of the students will make them connect to the content and what is being taught.

    One activity my social studies teacher did was bringing chocolate from different European countries when we were studying Europe. It helped my later on the assessment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely with your posts and had a similar experience. I think that using varied assessment, almost to the point that students don't even know they're being assessed, is vital to having a productive classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie,
    Like the others who commented on this posting, I agree that variety in instruction and assessment is an important component of an engaging classroom. I would add, though, that I don't think that all writing assignments are created equal. For instance, an analytical essay might not hold the same interest for students as choosing a historical figure and writing from the perspective of that figure. Or writing a letter to the US postal service arguing why somebody should be on a commemorative stamp, and designing an image of that stamp. Or so on and so forth.

    Thanks for your posting.

    ReplyDelete